Thursday, March 27, 2014

I Bought the Coastal Scents Mystery Box!

So at the urging of friends I bought the Coastal Scents Mystery Box to see if it was really worth the $19.95 price with $5.74 shipping and handling. Was it really worth it?





What all is in this box? Well, I looked it up to see before I invested in it and it appears there are a few basic things everyone gets but it's different for everyone. I don't know if they base it on previous orders or not but I've only ordered anything from them twice. When the Hotpot eye shadows go on sale for a $1! I didn't get a single one of those so it wasn't based on my order history. Here is everything I got in my box and a picture of swatches.

As in the other two orders I place I got the I <3 Makeup business card and it looks like they have changed the bumper sticker to a smaller sticker. As well you always get a free sample for ordering, in my last two orders I got one of these quads, and a concealer pot. These eyeshadows from top left clockwise are Reef Coral, Bronze Peach, Rainstorm, and Cocoa Diamond. I love that they send you these but I use the "concealer" for a contour color because it's too dark.


Let me just say I hate that they use this bric a brac for packing material. Yes it's cute and looks nice until you take it out of the box, then it spreads worse than spilt glitter! But other than that this box seems to be packed full!

 First up I got 5 different brushes. You can never have too many of those! They are:

Classic Dome Kabuki BR-C-S35 $7.95
Classic Flat Buffer BR-C-S30 $9.95
Classic Pointed Precision BR-C-N42 $4.95
Classic Flat Top Shadow BR-C-N38 $2.95
(Box paid for!!!)
Classic Retractable Lip BR-C-S37 $4.95


Nuna Black Soap $8.95



Ok this soap has a very strong medicinal smell to it! It's not something I would have bought myself! Just because I have my own products like this that I trust!







This is a loose eyeshadow called Balara. I couldn't find it on their website to tell you a price for it but their loose shadows are about $.50 to $4.95. I have read a few reviews that say they send you discontinued items to get rid of them. But it's a nice warm neutral color that can be used as a shadow or contour color!



There were two lip products, a balm and a gloss.

Lip Affection Lip Balm in Passionate Peppermint
$0.95

Coastal Scents Smackers in O' Scarlet
$3.95 each
A translucent red colored gloss with glitter bits.



This is the Duo Shadow Pencil in Copper Penny, but I couldn't find it on their website. Again, another discontinued item? I couldn't even find pencils on their site but I did find it on Amazon.com for $4.95.

The Sunless Body Art Bronzer in Dark is exactly what it says DARK. I am extra pale by choice and I wish they had given me that option when I was ordering my box but this will make a good eye color! $7.95


That eyeshadow pencil above is a very lovely color combo with the darker end being a nice coppery bronze color with gold shimmer and the other end being a metallic gold! It will make a good base under the bronzer for a nice summer smokey eye look!


This is the most disappointing thing I got! The go palette in Nuuk. This one is not listed on the site but these palettes are $8.95. This one is a collection of 12 white eyeshadows with 4 pastel colors at the top. I swatched these and they are horrible! I know why they no longer sell this one, it SUCKS! But for my daughter this is pretty sweet! Don't tell her I gave it to her because I hated it!


All together everything in this box totaled to $66.95 with the brushes being a $30.75 in themselves. So what if I got one crappy eyeshadow palette, overall I got a good deal of other products that can be really useful. Coastal Scents releases a new one of these once a year, so $19.95 plus shipping and handling once a year isn't too bad if you are looking for a little "me gift" to get yourself. If you are a die hard eyeshadow fan save your money and invest it in the Hotpot eyeshadows, or brushes, or which ever product is your thing.

Love,
Mom

P.S.
Here are the swatches of the things in this box, like I said the eyeshadow palette was so bad the shimmer didn't even show up in the pictures where I tried to swatch them. Which is really bad since Coastal Scents is usually really great shadows, those were worse than a cheap dollar store palette.

Top row: Sunless Bronzer in Dark,  Loose shadow in Balara, Duo Shadow Pencil in Copper Penny, Smackers Gloss in O'Scarlet. Bottom row: The eyeshadow sample quad left to right Reef Coral, Bronze Peach, Cocoa Diamond, and Rainstorm


No comments:

Post a Comment